Back to Blogs

April 21, 2010

INJURED HORSE (Letter sent by Kevan of Chilliwack, BC)
***(CAUTION: Graphic photographs of George's injury)***

On February 22nd, 2006 our 14-year old quarterhorse, George, suffered a serious injury after he became impaled on a fencepost. The wound that resulted was almost 2 feet long and over 8 inches deep.

After calling our vet, then my wife, I ushered George into the barn & did my best to stem the bleeding, and try to wait patiently for the cavalry to arrive. Our vet looked George over & determined the nature & severity of the gash was "inoperable"; meaning that apart from administering some antibiotics to ward off infection, we had no choice but to let George & Mother Nature work together on this one. This was unacceptable to us; so the next day I paid a visit to Henry at the Cloverdale Pharmasave.

Henry [of Cloverdale Pharmasave] has helped us in the past with a number of other situations & maladies, and his assistance has always been nothing short of measurable. In his trademark calm way, he carefully explained what he thought would provide George with what he needed most.

Henry suggested a 3-pronged approach, which consisted of an oral immuno-booster, an additional immune system catalyst to be delivered by intra-muscular injection, and a topical treatment to keep infection to a minimum. At the time George was also receiving regular treatments of Recovery EQ for joint issues, which Henry had prescribed some months before. I expressed my concerns about compounding these treatments, and Henry once again took the time to carefully explain the how's & why's of each treatment, and what their specific relationships with each other would entail. In short, Henry “wrote the book” on how he thought George would recover. He was adamant that we not only continue with the Recovery, but increase the doses slightly over the next 3-4 weeks.

The next few days were tense ones for us. The initial healing process was what could only be described as “gut-wrenching”, but true to Henry's predictions, George did indeed begin to mend. It wasn't too long at all until we began to see positive results where earlier we saw only dread.

During a follow-up visit, our vet was completely amazed at not only the speed of George's recovery, but the condition of the regenerated tissue. Within less than 2 months, George displayed an unmistakable eagerness to “get back to work”.

In 35 years I have never seen such a grievous injury to any horse that actually survived, let alone witnessed such an astoundingly rapid recovery. We may never be entirely sure which of the compounds Henry prescribed helped the most; indeed, it may well have been the cumulative powers of all of them together. We are certain of one thing, however: the Recovery EQ was at least a pivotal component of George's healing process

Following are pictures of George's injury & subsequent recovery:

Day 0: 3-4 hours post-trauma:
Day 0: 3-4 hours post-trauma 

Day 3: 2 days from beginning of homeopathic remedy (Trameel, Arnica & Cothivet) Recovery EQ dosage increased by 20%:
George Day 3

Day 4: Wound continuing to close; increased serum flow:
George Day 4

Day 6: Citricisation almost complete. Fold to the left is shrinking; fold to the right becoming necrotic Recovery dose increased by 50%:
George Day 6

Day 12: Last day of antibiotics serum production almost nil:
George Day 12

Day 12: Emphysema developing in left shoulder, neck & leg (note puffiness as opposed to hollowing on right side):
George Day 12 II 

Day 20: Inside wound completely sealed, serum flow increasing. Kooter has begun licking the scabs off & EATING them! Emphysema no longer spreading (stopped just behind withers):
George Day 20

Day 27: Center of wound sealing nicely, emphysema subsided, serum flow minimal:
George Day 27

Day 49: Interior of the wound itself is less than ½” deep. Serum flow ceased entirely, and hair has already begun to grow across the lower 2 & 1/2 to 3 inches. Wound has been healing from the bottom up. As a result, some edema is seen to the right of the wound in the picture. This is likely due to the loss of effective drainage the previously open wound provided:
George Day 49

Day 49: Interior of the wound itself is less than ½” deep. Serum flow ceased entirely, and hair has already begun to grow across the lower 2 & 1/2 to 3 inches. Wound has been healing from the bottom up. As a result, some edema is seen to the right of the wound in the picture. This is likely due to the loss of effective drainage the previously open wound provided:
George Day 49

Day 78: Top & bottom of wound completely healed (slight line visible where wound has healed at top) No necrotic tissue whatsoever!
George Day 78

July 2006:
George July 2006 Recoverd 

Kevan from Chilliwack


WOW! I am SO happy for you and George! My heart absolutely broke when I saw those pictures. That poor baby. Were you using Traumeel ointment? Pills? Ampoules? A combination? Just curious because last April, one of my Canadian mares came up lame and no one could figure out what was wrong with her as heat and tenderness constantly moved. Sometimes it was in her hip, sometimes her stifle, sometimes in her hock, sometimes at the back of her hoof, sometimes in her lower leg. For about three months I tried EVERYTHING I could think of- poultices, ice, warm epsom salt baths, heat & ice liniments, etc. etc. and nothing was helping. I remembered reading a horse blog about Traumeel, so thought I would try it. Without a word of a lie, I rubbed the ointment all over her leg and the VERY NEXT DAY she started putting weight on it and the limping was less pronounced. I contacted the company and their animal advisor suggested that the pills would also be beneficial, as they would go directly to whatever was causing the problem. She's about 1600 lbs, so I was supposed to give her 18 a day, but I think I only gave her 12, and I kept rubbing the ointment on.Within about 2-3 weeks, she was almost 100%, but I kept using the Traumeel for about 3 months to help with occasional stiffness. I gradually decreased both the pills and the ointment and by November, I took her off everything, and she has been fine. This is AMAZING stuff! However... this June she got caught up in some electric fence poly rope (with the wire woven into it) and ripped her hock wide open - on the same leg of course. It was about two inches wide, 8 inches long and about an inch deep- oozing pus... (I would have called the vet and had it stitched, but I was away for a week and a friend was looking after the horses...and he didn't think it was that bad?!?! gulp....). I cleaned the wound every day with Iodine (1part: 10 parts water) and put a cream on that I had used before that was recommended to me by an Amish friend. It is called Bickmore's Gall Salve, and it too is AMAZING. The wound healed incredibly fast. It aids in getting rid of dead skin, and promotes hair growth as well- black hair- not white spots like they sometimes get on scar tissue. It is for cuts, abrasions, rashes, bug bites, etc., and I use it all the time. Just thought I'd pass that on because I think that anything that truly works on our horses should be shared with anyone who is looking to help their horse heal! I'm glad I found this information about Cloverdale- even though I'm in Ontario- it's nice to know about knowledgeable people and places (who are familiar with horses!!) where you can get guidance with medical issues. Thanks for sharing your story. I am so glad it had a happy ending for you & George!
August 10, 2015 | Patti

That is truely amazing WOW, that would have broken my heart to see and have to deal with.. Good on you for not giving up :)....
March 27, 2014 | Bev Victor

WOW Kevan, What an amazing story and photos! Kate in Chilliwack
February 2, 2014 | kate

Add Comment